Wednesday, September 17, 2008

where is my life going?

Tuesday was my first nursing test. I'd really rather not talk about it, so instead I will focus on something else. Like the girl that informed everyone a friend of hers died an hour before the test, followed with the news that another friend is being charged with manslaughter. Ok..... that really sucks..... a lot.... hardcore..... Then we get the entire story. Her manslaughter friend decided to drive the dead friend home.... drunk..... She tried to make excuses like "he only blew a 0.09 and the legal limit is something like 0.08." As if that somehow makes drunk driving ok. It was only 0.01 over after all. No.... over is over.... Yeah if I'm speeding one mph over the limit, I deserve a ticket..... not that I wouldn't be pissed as hell if I got one..... I completely agree that her friend should go to jail for drunk driving. If he wouldn't have done that, her other friend would still be alive. But then I think..... the dead friend is a among the stupidest poeple on the earth for getting in the car and letting killer drive. I have no pity for any of the people in that situation. Which got me to thinking..... how will I be a nurse? If I had a drunk driver come into the ER that just killed someone, would I be able to care for that patient? I always feared that in EMS. Would I really want to save this person when they don't really care? Yeah yeah addiction is hard to beat blah blah..... but they CHOSE to drive..... as in get behind the wheel and put everyone who was driving's lives in the hands of some alcohol. Now lets remember alcohol isn't animate..... so it would be pretty hard for it to drive yeah? I just have no respect for someone who does that. which again brings me to the question..... would i do everything in my power to save their life? or would i just do all that was legally required by law and now try as hard as I should? Maybe I should just work in labor/delivery/ob/peds..... or something like that..... so... morale of today is.... if you suspect a driver is drunk.... call them in..... and if they have a whiskey plate (the plate that is W and some letters/numbers) they can be pulled over whenever where ever to make sure they aren't drinking..... so really just call it in.... potentially it could save a life......

4 comments:

  1. nope.... it was a big fat F..... but apparently only like 5 people actually passed the test..... I really just need to learn how to study..... I've never had to work for a grade my entire life..... and I need to learn now....

    ReplyDelete
  2. So as I understand it, you're working on a nursing program. For what type of degree? The teacher in me is most interested in how you work to figure out "how" to study. I've gotten many students who haven't studied a day of their lives - as 9th graders that is such a long time! But I firmly believe we all reach a point in which we have to work really hard for a grade. Mine was ORGANIC - yuck! Keep us posted. I'll keep reading. And good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. right now an AA degree for RN. I don't really know how to study.... I guess I should start by actually reading the chapters though..... never had to do that.... Yeah organic chemistry was ridiculous but it was kind of fun. I'm a little short of having a BSN (once i get the nursing done with anyways) so i'm going to do that right away.... you know..... make more money.... haha

    ReplyDelete